Saturday, December 25, 2010

Futakoi Alternative 01/13

So, another hardsubbed show is becoming softsubbed. I decided that I'll do two shows in parallel from now on, the releases will be rotated. It's more interesting for me this way.

The order of episodes was slightly changed on DVDs comparing to the broadcast order: episode 3 was shifted down to become episode 5, and episodes 4 and 5 were consequently shifted up to 3 and 4. I'll release the show in the DVD order.


[EDIT: the following text describes the v1 release. It is left here for historical reasons.
See this post for the description of the v2 release.]


This release is based on existing raws created from DVDISOs by uboa. (Not to be confused with old DivX raws that've been floating around.)

Video: x264 640x480 29.97 fps 1724 kbps (encode by uboa)
Audio: Ogg Vorbis 192kbps (2.0)
Subtitles: English styled softsubs (translation by AnimeYuki)

Screen comparison with AnimeYuki TV rip

(Static screens might not do justice because this show has a lot of action and complex scenes. So look at it and leave your opinion.)

 

Episode 01: [pulled; get v2 instead]

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for releasing this series, will you be doing the first Futakoi series as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, eventually, but not in the nearest month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I actually downloaded the DVDISOs off Share last year, but since I hadn't seen the show and it looks fun I didn't really want to spoil it for myself by having to rip hardsubs and stuff beforehand. So, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. shit, i almost wet myself when i saw this on tokyo tosho. tremendously underrated show which deserves the work you are putting in. the eye cancer of the TV rip was very frustrating...iirc, this show has a shitload of moving signs = typesetter hell...

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry for double post...
    just wanted to say that if you are OCR-ing the subs, i can help if you are interested.
    i can OCR, edit and typeset to a certain extent (no moving signs. well i did them frame by frame in kare kano, so...yeah).
    IF you are OCR-ing, what program do u use?
    and i didn't find any contact info on this blog.
    so, my email
    idiffer3@rambler.ru

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ idiffer: .srt files of the AnimeYuki subs have been on subs.com.ru for awhile, so hopefully Kaishakunin happened across those. Of course that doesn't help with the signs :( I know both toybox and I considered doing the show, but passed due to the poor quality of the DivX5 DVD-rips mentioned in the main post.

    And if the moving signs get too crazy, there's no shame in just throwing up an "{\an8} Sign: " line. Though walls of text may be a different matter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Zalis
    lol, russians OCR-ed the subs, huh. we rule))
    yeah, the dvd rips were no different from the tv rip. but these new ones jumongi is using are better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I use those .srt files, correct the timing to account for scene changes/remove blinking/etc, and try to add all signs like in the fansub. Some of the signs I do frame-by-frame, I hope this doesn't cause lags on slow PCs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. why's it 640x480 and 359mb?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~350Mb per 24-min episode is fine for a DVD rip as far as I'm concerned; there are lots of fast-moving scenes in this show, so the extra bitrate won't hurt. Another question is why 640x480 and not 704x480 anamorphic? I don't know, I would prefer the latter myself, but it's not a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally love you guys for doing this <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for doing this show, it's one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  13. Frame-by-frame signs don't cause too many problems on slow computers (of which mine is a benchmark). It's having numerous lines on the screen, particularly with moving, rotation, color-transformation, or other effects that causes lag. But at 640x480, there still shouldn't be that much lag. The only times I've gotten lag from softsubbed typesetting at 480p were on "walls-of-text" releases like gg's Maria Holic.

    ReplyDelete