Sunday, December 19, 2010

D.C. Da Capo 01/26


D.C. Da Capo was aired as 26 episodes, each running for ~24 minutes. But the main story runs for this duration only in episodes 15 and 22-26. Episodes 1-7 were aired with image songs performed by seiyuus of the main series characters. Episodes 8-14 and 16-21 were aired with side episodes.

All of that is included in this DVD-based re-release. But for some reason, DVD shifts the side episodes to ep 8-20. Because of this shift, episode 15 now runs for 30 minutes and episode 21 runs for 18 minutes. All other episodes are 24-minute long.

The video is encoded with x264 at 704x480 (anamorphic 16:9), 29.97fps, crf 17. The average bitrate among 26 episodes is 1373kbps. The animated parts are completely unfiltered (they don't even need IVTC, because the DVDs are progressive). The sound is untouched 448kbps AC3 (2.0).

Special thanks to Zalis / ReDone Subs for OP&ED karaoke and all the other help.

Screen comparison between AonE&HQA and this re-release
Screen comparison between Soldats and this re-release

Two subtitle tracks are included.
- English translation by Soldats (styled softsubs)
- English translation by AonE&HQA (styled softsubs)

Note that AonE&HQA cut and didn't translate image songs from episodes 2-7, so Soldats translation is used for those parts in both subtitle tracks.

19 comments:

  1. Wanted to ask will you maybe do ToHeart2? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for Da Capo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canvas last part done? I cant wait to watch them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man! ur video quality is way way superior.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you not have been better just releasing a batch? I appreciate the work and all, but I'm not going to download this one episode at a time just for the sake of archival.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous: When all episodes are finished the batch will be available, of course.

    Initially I planned to release only batches, because I'm not keen on downloading partial releases myself, and I truly hate when someone releases a couple of episodes but never completes the show.

    But finally I turned to per-episode releases, mainly because of two reasons. The first one is that it allows me to collect an early feedback and change something if necessary. The second is that working on all episodes without any releases is just too boring for myself, lol.

    @HayateM: I'll think about ToHeart2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @kaishakunin: Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, recoded Da Capo. You are one of my new favorite people

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful. A lot of thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Which sub track has the best translation AonE&HQA or Soldats? I will be converting them to ps3 format with the subs hardsubbed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @CJ: Personally I prefer Soldats track, though AonE&HQA is not bad either. But I don't know Japanese, and do not always feel bad English like native speakers, so my opinion on this matter is not necessarily competent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for picking D.C. series up man :D
    Nanaka <3

    I Second the To Heart-2 Suggestion but if you don't decide to do them then there's always the Spanish Hardsubs as an alternative.
    You just need to know Spanish though (unfortunately I don't) XD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, this show really needed a restoration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...
    The quality is so good, and it became more clear with the comparison...
    Thanks a lot for the hard work mate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks a lot for doing D.C., it's one of my favorite show and the old TV raws certainly did not hold their quality over the years. Any plans to do season 2?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I'm intending to do all seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The video stream got a little pixel glitch/noise? at 11:38-11:39 was it also on the source? :O

    ReplyDelete
  18. @HayateM: Wow, you have good eyes :-O Yes, just checked the DVD, it's also present there. I could've easily fixed it with FreezeFrame though, but I never noticed it despite rewatching the episode 5 times...

    Well, I think this is too minor for v2, unless other problems are found.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @kaishakunin: Don't think it's worth either for an v2, but is more angry at the company's that can't figure to check their source/disc's before they get sent out for retail (DVD and BD's isn't quite cheap either :/)

    ReplyDelete